Ekpannkukwo is peculiar to the Efik/Ibibio people of southern Nigeria and they are well-known for their outstanding chef skills and diverse dishes. In fact they are recognized as one the most gifted chefs in Nigeria.
Ekpannkwukwo is a meal prepare on special occasions. There are special way to cook this Nigeria dishes.
How to Prepare Ekpannkwukwo
- Rinse and cook the beef and dry fish with the seasoning to your desirable rate. Some people like their meat tender while others like them a bit strong
- Peel, wash and grate or blend the cocoyam and water yam. Mix the two together and set aside.
- Wash your pot thoroughly and rub a small amount of red palm oil on the insides of the pot in order to prevent it from sticking to the pot.
- Rinse the tender cocoyam leaves and shred them into small or medium pieces depending on your preference
- Blend Or pound the pepper and crayfish and set aside.
- Cut or wash the shelled or unshelled periwinkle thoroughly
- Rinse and slice the scent leaves into tiny pieces.
- Set your fire, cooking ekpannkukwo with firewood gives it some unique taste.
Directives for Cooking Efik/Ibibio Ekpannkwukwo
- If you will be using unshelled periwinkle, place these at the base of the well-oiled pot. After washing your pot well
- Take a small amount of the grated cocoyam into the shredded cocoyam leaf or pumpkin leaf, wrap the potion with the leaf and place it inside the pot. Do this procedure till all the grated cocoyam and water yam is exhausted. Place it on fire and reduce the rate of the fire.
- Add your blended pepper, crayfish, shelled periwinkle and assorted beef.
- Add hot water to the level of the pot contents. Please don’t add cold water
- When it is cook for 15 to 20 minutes add the scent leaves, a generous amount of palm oil and salt to taste. Cook for more 4 minutes and bring it down. Leave it for few minutes to cool
- Scoop into flat plates and your ekpannkwukwo is ready for consumption
- You can serve it with water, soft drinks and red wine.