Akwa ibom State is one of the Niger Delta States in Nigeria. It is located in the coastal southern part of the country and it is one the oil rich state in the country.The state is located in the South-South geopolitical zone in Nigeria, and it boundary with Cross-River, Abia state and River State. Akwa ibom was created out of Cross River State. Akwa Ibomites main occupation is farming, fishing, trading, and food manufacturing business. They are friendly hospitable, and peaceful people. Akwaibom has three senatorial district Oron, ibiobio, and Annang people.
The name Akwa Ibom State is derived from the Qua Iboe river which runs across the State. With origin from the Umuahia Hills through Ikot Ekpene to Eket and empties into the atlantic ocean. Qua iboe is one of the most popular church in the State and it can be found in almost every community in the State.
17 Interesting Facts about Akwa Ibom State
- The State was created out of Cross River State in 1987.
- Akwaibom doesn’t operate one city system.
- It has three cities uyo, Eket and Ikot Ekpene.
- Uyo is the capital of the State. it is a beautiful city with plazas, social infrastructure, hospital, museum, 5 stars Hotel, Cinema, golf club, night clubs, stadium and many more other attractions
- Eket is a second largest city in Akwa Ibom State. It is an oil rich area. Eket is home to Exxonmobil and Heritage Polytechnic. Eket is also tourist delight.
- Ikot Ekene is the third largest city in Akwa Ibom State. home to some Polytechnic and college of education.
- Oron, Ikot Abasi and Abak are another cities in Akwa Ibom State.
- There are three senatorial districts the Ibibio, Annang and Oron.
- Obibio is the major language spoken in the State. The language is understandable to all Akwa-Ibomites and Efik people.
- Annang and Oron is the next spoken languages respectively.
- Akwa Ibom State has one of the highest numbers of polytechnics and monotechnics for any Nigerian State
- Akwa Ibom State has one international airport and a seaport.
- The major means of transportation through mini buses, kekenapep, motorcycle, and taxi.
- The promient people from Akwa Ibom State include, Victor Attah, Ini Edo, goodwill Akpabio, Nsikan Edouk, Nse ikpeng Etim, Udom Emmanuel, Samuel Peter, Bishop Okon calabar,
- Akwa Ibom ayaya, dakada, ado OK are some of the popular slangs in the state.
- The are one the neatest State in Nigeria.
- The State has media houses.
- It is a very peaceful place to live.